Tuesday 15 December 2009

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing the product?

I feel that the experience of constructing this piece as a part of my coursework has helped me with my understanding and capabilities with using technology in many ways; the initial gathering of the images to be included into the coursework involved working with a camera I was not familiar with – A Canon PowerShot SX100 IS. It was a learning experience, adjusting to the camera, etc, and on whole I found the photoshoot to be a learning experience in itself, finding angles which gave the correct lighting, deciding how much backdrop to include etc.

This instance was also my first time using Photoshop Elements 7.0, as my own version is different (Photoshop Elements 5.0); originally I intended to use Indesign, as I did with my contents page, however I had issues transferring an image onto the program without it pixelating, and so instead worked on the other photoshop, and at a later point, Macromedia Fireworks, as it was a program I felt more comfortable adding smaller details on.

I found the creation of the contents page to be quite a learning experience as this was my first time using Photoshop InDesign, and I initially found it rather awkward and confusing to work with – I had issues in particular with resizing of images, as the program seemed to fail to do this as expected, and tended to crop images instead. However, I persevered, and soon enough found that I was able to work with the program relatively efficiently, and am pleased with the overall turnout of my contents page.

In the case of my double-page spread, I was using a version of Photoshop which I was not entirely familiar with, however there were fortunately not too many differences between this version and the version I use at home, and I was even able to continue work from the school Photoshop version on my home computer.
Overall however, as I was quite familiar with the programs I used in the creation of this piece, and thus had little trouble throughout, and do not feel that I learnt very much from its creation, especially anything I had not already learned from the creation of my Front Cover and Contents Page.


(Above is an example of an image, before and after I edited for use in my product - I took the original image and, using photoshop and fireworks, I edited the levels of saturation, lighting, the hue, etc, until I was satisfied with the final outcome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment