Tuesday 15 December 2009

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

I believe that my representations are similar to those of already existing publications, however I do feel that my representations do differ in some ways from the typical representations of the rock/metal crowd. The band members represented in my magazine did not necessarily look like ‘average’ members of a rock or metal band, as I personally feel that the average representation given by most magazines can be a little unfair and over-exaggerated; Not everyone who listens to this form of music dresses in the rock/metal fashion style, as some people are more open or closed about their interest than others.

Thus, I believe that many fans of this genre of music might not necessarily enjoy the fashion sense too, and attempted to incorporate that into my band’s attire.

The setting chosen for the front cover image was one that I felt would be representative of the band who is the focus of two-page spread – the dull, grey and rusted, industrial feel to the background of the image is a distinct contrast to the stark blacks and white of the band’s attire, as well as the bright shock of the pink hair of the lead singer.

Honestly, I do not feel that the Contents page is representative of any social groups at all, as there is little that can be represented when considering the style of contents page I created.

I would not necessarily say that my double-page spread is representative of many, if any social groups – though in the article itself, as a means of creating a more ‘intriguing’ account of the band’s history, I do suggest that, as some of the band member’s were foreign, they encountered some forms of racism during their rise to fame, as well as suggesting that the majority of rock-bands who become famous are less sincere than rising bands, who have not yet experienced ‘fame’. In a sense, this is representative of some social groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment