Tuesday 15 December 2009

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

It is my opinion that my front cover does, in most senses, conform to the forms and conventions of typical music publications/magazines, as the features of the rock/metal music genre tend to be quite narrow, and so it is difficult to defer from the expected style without accidentally giving the wrong image for the publication.

There are only a certain number of colours and colour-schemes, front styles and layouts that truly act to represent this style of music – for example, bright colours would not be entirely appropriate, whereas darker colours most certainly are.
Thus, I incorporated a darker colour scheme in order to reflect the typical representations that magazines of these genres attempt to give.




(The examples above show why I came to develop the opinions mentioned in the former paragraphs, whilst the third image - my own magazine cover design - shows the influences I took from these types of published items)

I do not feel that the contents page particularly conforms to the expected norms of music magazine contents pages – the majority I studied, including the KERRANG! Magazine contents page that I analysed as a part of my research, feature images of the band included inside, editors notes and other side-notes, and perhaps puff’s which advertise subscriptions to the magazine, offers available to readers, etc.




As you can see when comparing the images above, I included no such images, my only image being the guitar surface of the background, and I felt that this failure to conform helped to show individuality in my work – the magazine doesn’t rely on heavy advertisement of itself, and focuses more on its content to ensure it gains a regular audience.

I would personally say that my double page spread conforms to the typical conventions of music magazines; if comparing my own work to an extract from an actual music magazine, particularly the ‘Muse’ article which I used along with the ‘All American Rejects’ double page spread, there are some similarities; such as the layout of the text, the incorporation of quotes from the main article into the layout as a way to entice the audience into reading the article, etc.

However I feel that, in taking some of the conformities to the extreme, I have in a sense deferred from the typical rock/metal magazine image – the use of dark colours in my double page spread was more extreme than a typical article would use, and the lack of an article title, replaced by the band name alone, is something which few magazines seem to incorporate. However, as I wanted this interview to be ‘exclusive’ – perhaps even a first interview with the band, I felt that the band name as a title for the article would be the most appropriate choice.

1 comment:

  1. Having assessed all three parts of your brief, I'm really impressed with your work- well done, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete